Recycled Glass Kitchen Countertops
Posted On: 2011-05-20 at
Recycled glass, or exquisitely repurposed glass, is a great idea for kitchen countertops. You can express your own design style while respecting the earth with a green choice! These artful, artistic surfaces are incredibly strong and durable. The color palettes range from brilliant cobalt blues to shimmering champagne flints! These beautiful, durable, unique materials may be used anywhere natural stone is used including: countertops, vanity tops, tabletops, bar tops, tub decks, shower surrounds, hearths, fireplace surrounds, architectural wall cladding, and many more. Recycled glass is combined with a binder of cement, additives, pigments and other recycled materials. Most recycled glass countertops contain at least 85% of glass from recycling that uses glass from bottles, drinking glasses, automotive glass, stained glass, laboratory glass, post-industrial glass and many others (just picture that recycling bin!). The great element of these recycled glass countertops is that no two pieces are, nor ever will be, the same. It is a definite one-of-a-kind design feature. With the various hues, it is a home’s piece of art. Recycled glass countertops are comparable in strength, scratch resistance, thermal resistance, durability, and care and maintenance to granite. The porosity is generally better than that of marble, concrete, and some granite. The 85% composition of the countertops is impervious to staining thanks to the recycled glass component. The other 15% (the binder, concrete elements) just needs to be wiped away at the time of the spill. Acids like red wine, lemon juice, citrus juice, and vinegar may etch the matrix of the surface (the concrete, binder elements) if left for long periods of time and staining agents like coffee, tea, cola, and berries will leave traces if allowed to remain on the surface. These “signs of everyday living!” can actually enhance the character of the surface (consider that beautiful aged butcher block!). The darker pigmented mixes and those with patinas generally camouflage these signs better. To clean and care for the surface, it should be wiped clean with a damp cloth. For rings and dried spots, use a mild liquid soap or mild detergent with a damp cloth. Consult your professional as to which finishing polish should be used and how often. Also, your professional will instruct you as to the guidelines for resealing your countertops every year or two to keep it like new. It is generally a simple process of applying the sealant, leaving it for 20 minutes or so, and wiping it off. These countertops will likely exhibit variations in color, shade, glass size, and glass particle distribution that are part of the inherent character and beauty of mixing post consumer and/or post-industrial recycled glass. It is extremely durable and strong, and it is quite resistant to chipping and cracking. In the unlikely event chipping or cracking does occur, simply consult your fabricator. This recycled glass surface handles heat and hot cooking and baking pans extremely well and even further adds to its value in the kitchen! It is also quite durable to high traffic and use.
When choosing your dream home plan and mapping out that great kitchen, consider the beautiful earth-friendly, green choice of recycled glass countertops!
Submitted by: SRC